Aviyal Recipe - Ingredients:
Preparation: 15 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins | Recipe cuisine: South Indian | Category: Side dish
Mixed Vegetables - 2 1/2 - 3 cups
( i used the following vegetables)
Yam - 1/2 cup
Drumstick - 1
Snake gourd - 1/4 cup
Ash Gourd - 1/4 cup
String beans - 5 nos
Carrot - 1 medium
Raw banana - 1 no
Raw mango - 1 small (or) Sour curd - 1/2 cup
Curry leaves - handful
Turmeric powder - a generous pinch
Salt as needed
Coconut oil - 2 tbsp
Coconut - 1 cup
Cumin seeds/ jeera - 1 tsp
Green chili - 3 nos
1. Cut all the vegetables lengthwise evenly about 2' inch strips, wash and keep aside. Grind the coconut, jeera and green chili to a coarse mixture.
2. In a heavy bottomed vessel like urili, cover and cook all the vegetables with very little water along with turmeric, salt and few curry leaves. Do not over cook the vegetables.
3. Once the vegetables are half cooked add the grounded coconut mixture and stir well.
4. Cover and cook till all the vegetables are well cooked. Garnish with remaining curry leaves and fresh coconut oil and gently give a stir.
Aviyal is ready to serve for sadhya.
- If adding raw mango no need to add sour curd.
- Take care not to mash the vegetables while mixing.
- Add water now and then as the vegetables gets cooked, else it may become watery. Aviyal should be thick.
- Adding fresh coconut oil is the highlight of aviyal recipe. It gives an intense flavor and so don't skip it.
- There is no specific measurements for the veggies, but yam, raw banana and drumstick are must in any aviyal recipes.
Looks yummy and tasty....... Love it !!ReplyDelete