Kadala Parippu Pradhaman/ Channa Dal Pradhaman - Ingredients:
Preparation time: 20 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins | Recipe cuisine: Indian | Category: Dessert
Kadala Parippu/ Channa dal - 1/2 cup
Powdered Jaggery - 1/2 cup
Second milk (thin) - 1 cup
First milk (thick) - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Cardamon powder - 1/4 tsp
Jeera powder - 1/2 tsp
Cashews and Raisins - 1 tbsp
Coconut pieces - 1 tbsp
1. Dry roast the channa dal for few mins and soak it in water for 1/2 an hour.
2. Pressure cook the dal with enough water to immerse for 3-4 whistles and drain the excess water. Don't make it mushy.
3.Meanwhile prepare the first and second coconut milk using warm water. I used my juice extractor.
4. Soak the jaggery in warm water. Strain it and heat it until thick. Add channa dal to it and cook until well incorporated, say for 5-6 mins.
5. Add the second coconut milk at this stage and simmer it for another 5 -6 mins until the water content is reduced and becomes slightly thick.
6. Now add the thick milk , cardamon and jeera powder and gently give a stir. Heat a little and switch off.
7. Finally fry the coconut pieces, cashews and raisins in ghee and add to the pradhaman.
Serve and enjoy...
- After the first coconut milk is added don't boil for more time, just heat and switch off.
- Adding roasted jeera powder enhances the taste of pradhamn.
- Adjust the jaggery level as per your sweetness.
- Adding warm water to the coconut helps to extract the milk easily.
- The whole process should be done in medium /low flame.