Channa Masala for Bhature - Ingredients:
Cooking time: 30 mins | Recipe cuisine: North Indian | Recipe category: Side dish
White chick peas / Channa - 1 cup
Onion - 1
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Channa masala powder - 1 tsp
Water as needed.
Salt to taste.
To roast and grind:
Onion - 1
Tomato - 2
Ginger - i ' inch piece
Garlic - 2 -3 cloves
Green chili - 2 slit vertically
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon - 1 inch
Cloves - 2
Cardamon - 2
Bay leaves - 1
Coriander leaves - few sprig
Lemon juice - 1 tsp
1. Soak the channa over night and pressure cook the channa with enough water for 4- 5 whistles. Drain the water and keep aside. Heat a kadai and drizzle some oil . Roast the ingredients under 'to roast and grind,. Cool down and grind it to a smooth paste.
2. Heat a pan with oil and temper jeera, fennel and the whole garam masala's. Throw in the onion and saute until it turns pale.
3. Now add the paste and give a stir. Then add all the powders except channa masala. Keep sauteing till it blends well.
4. Add the cooked channa and add 1/2 cup water and bring it to boil .
5. Throw in the channa masala powder and simmer it for further 5-7 mins till you get the desired consistency. Finally add the lemon juice and coriander leaves and switch off. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Serve with hot puri's and bhatura's topped with some chopped raw onion and lemon wedges.
- While pressure cooking channa add a pinch of soda to get it cooked soft.
- Instead of channa masala powder you can use garam masala also.