I have tried and tasted many varieties of tomato rice/thakkali sadham. You can make it as biriyani, pulao, tomato bath or as a simple tomato rice. Here is my own version of tomato rice which is simple and yummy too with no ginger garlic. I make this version often when i feel lazy to grind the ginger-garlic paste.
As whole garam masala's are added to spice it up, it tastes more like a biriyani / pulao. Again this is a great lunch box recipe not only for kids but for office goers too.
Tomato Rice with no Ginger-Garlic Recipe - Ingredients:
Cooking time: 20 mins | Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Main dish | Serve: 2
Basmathi rice - 1 cup
Onion - 1 ( finely chopped)
Tomato - 2 (finely chopped)
Bay leaves - 1
Cloves - 3
Cinnamon - 1/2 inch
Cardamon - 1
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Cashew-nuts - 5
Oil - 1 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves - few sprigs finely chopped.
1. Soak the rice for 30 mins and cook it for 2 whistles with 2 cups water (1:2 ratio). Fluff the rice and set it to cool.
2. Heat oil in a kadai and splutter all the whole spices (bay,cloves,cinnamon,cardamon and fennel seeds). Add the cashew-nuts and fry till golden brown. Add the onions and saute until golden brown.
3. Add the tomatoes and cook it until it turns mushy and throw in the turmeric and chili powder and continue sauteing until oil oozes out.
4. Add the Rice and gently mix well with the tomato puree along with salt. Finally garnish with chopped coriander and a tsp of ghee.
Serve hot with cucumber raita and papad.
- Soaking the rice will help the rice to cook faster. Don't cook for more than 2 whistles.
- Wait till the tomatoes are completely fried and then add the rice else it will turn to be sticky.
- You can also add salt while sauteing tomatoes itself.