We had this simple and comforting lunch with sambar, varuval and rice.
Potato roast in freshly grounded masala /Urulaikizhangu Varuval - Ingredients:
Cooking time: 15 mins | Recipe Cuisine - South Indian | Recipe Category - Side dish.
Potato - 3 medium
Salt to taste
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
To roast and grind:
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon - 1 inch
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds/ powder - 1/2 tsp
Dry red chili - 2
Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard seed - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - a sprig
1. Boil the potatoes for 1 whistle and cut into bite sizes. Keep aside. It should not be mushy. If you are not sure cook it separately.
2. Roast the ingredients under 'to roast and grind'.
5. Now heat oil in a kadai and temper the ingredients under ' to temper' and throw in the potato mixture and turmeric.
6. Roast it in low flame for 5 mins or until potato turns brown color.
Serve hot with sambar, rasam or curd.
- Use enough oil if the potato gets stick to the bottom of the vessel. Its better to use iron or non-stick kadai for roasting.
- See that the potato is not overcooked and turn mushy. If so, you cannot mix the powder.
- You can make the powder in more quantity and store it. This can be used for other veggies also.
Linking this to WTML hosted by Gayathri