Onion tomato chutney is one my easiest and favorite chutney as it goes well with most of the tiffen dishes. My mom makes onion tomato chutney in two or three versions. She some times grinds it raw or sometime, saute and grind. Even my MIL has a different version of making this chutney.
I am not a big fan of dosa/idli but, when mom gives this chutney with hot Oothappams i will forget everything. This version of onion tomato chutney is where i have first roasted , and then grinded.
Onion Tomato Chutney Recipe - Ingredients:
Cooking time: 10 mins | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian | Recipe Category: Tiffen side dish.
To saute and grind:
Onion - 2 (roughly chopped)
Tomato - 2 (roughly chopped)
Urud dal - 1 tsp
Channa dal - 1 tsp
Dry red chili - 3
Coriander leaves - 3 -4 sprigs
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Oil - 1 tsp
1. Heat oil in a kadai and throw in the channa and urud dal.
2. Add the onion and dry chili and saute for a couple of mins until onion turns brown .
3. Add in the tomatoes and saute until it has a burnt color. Don't allow it to be mushy.
4. Add in the coriander and saute for a min and switch off.
5. Allow it to cool and grind to fine paste along with salt.
6. Temper the ingredients under ' to temper' and add the grinded paste and saute for 2 mins and switch off.
Serve with any hot tiffen of your choice.
- The consistency can be made thick or thin depending on your choice. If you want bit runny then add little water.
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste.
- Adding coriander leaves is optional but it gives nice flavor and color to the chutney.