'Red Velvet cupcakes' , the name itself tells these cupcakes are soft , sweet and has a velvety texture.
It is definitely going to be a favorite recipe for your valentine dinner with it's rich texture and playful color. Cupcakes and muffins are getting trendier these days with more fancy decorations and attractive sprinkles. Whenever we visit hyper markets and bakery's these cream cupcakes with different colors invites us to try for one. Mithu will then start pointing to each color cupcakes.
I have tried a simple cream cheese frosting with no butter. I got this recipe from a local magazine and gave a try. I found some recipes that calls for beetroot juice to give a nice red color. Only for the cream cheese frosting i googled to find a recipe that calls for no butter. This is again a no fail recipe and any beginner can try these egg-less version of red velvet cupcakes. The combination of sweet and soft cupcakes with a slight tangy cream cheese frosting will be sure a hit for this valentine.
Eggless Red velvet Cupcakes Recipe - Ingredients:
Baking time: 12-15 mins | Recipe Cuisine: International | Recipe Category: Cupcakes/Bakes
Makes - 10 cupcakes
APF (All purpose flour) - 1 cup
Cocoa powder - 2 tbsp
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Condensed milk - 200 gm ( half tin)
Yogurt - 1/4 cup (minus 2 tsp)
Oil / butter - 1/2 cup
Water - 100 ml ( 7 tbsp)
Chocolate chips - 2 tbsp (optional)
A drop of red color.
Cream cheese - 1/2 cup
Powdered sugar - 1/2 cup
Vanilla essence - 1/2 tsp
1. Sift flour, Cocoa, baking powder and soda and keep aside.
3. Fold in the red color.
4. Combine the flour and wet mixture together along with water and whisk well.
5. Fold in the chocolate chips if adding and give a stir.
6. Line muffin trays and fill in the batter to 1/2 of the tins . Meanwhile preheat the oven to 180 deg C for 10 mins.
7. Bake it in the preheated oven for 12 - 15 mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool it in the wire rack. De mould and cool for frosting.
8. Beat the cream cheese, sugar and essence until fluffy using an electric mixer or hand whisk for about 5 mins. Store it in the fridge for 10 mins and then transfer to piping bags or a polythene bag and pipe out your desired patterns. You can also apply it on the cupcakes using a spatula.
Decorate it with sprinkles or dust with coco powder.
- The original recipe calls for gel red color for a bright red velvet cake. I used my red food color which will give only mild red color.
- Adding chocolate chips is optional. But the melted chocolate in these cakes tastes yummy.