Normally kuzhi paniyarams are prepared with raw rice batter. But this is different as it prepared form the idli/dosa batter and can be best served as evening much for kids when they return home. I book marked it long before from sharmis blog and now its is in my regular menus.
These masala kuzhi paniyarams are best way to use the leftover idli/dosa batter. It was soft and tasted great. The color of carrot gives the batter a nice orange color and kids will love it.
Masala Kuzhi Paniyaram Recipe - Ingredients:
Cooking time: 10 mins | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian | Recipe Category: Snack/Break fast.
Dosa/Idli Batter - 2 cups
Coriander leaves - 2-3 sprigs chopped
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urud Dal - 1 tsp (optional)
Onion - 1 chopped
Green chili - 1 chopped (optional)
Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Hing - a pinch
Carrot - 1 (finely grated)
Coconut - 1 tbsp (optional)
Salt to taste.
Oil as required.
1. Heat a kadai and saute all the ingredients under ' to temper' one by one. Finally add the grated carrot and coconut as it need not be sauteed much.
2. Add the mixture to the batter along with salt and beat well.
3. Add the chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
4. Heat a paniyaram pan and drizzle / grease each hole with some oil.
5. Fill each hole with 3/4 batter, not more than that as paniyaram will raise.
6. Cover it and cook until the bottom side turns crisp.
7. Flip and cook the other side also.
Serve hot paniyaram as evening snack or as a change for breakfast. I served it with onion tomato chutney
- Instead of sauteing carrots and coconut, it can also be added directly to the batter.
- You can also add broken peanuts or cashews to batter as it will give a nice crunch.
- Reduce the spiciness if making for kids.