Happy Makara Sankaranthi and Pongal 2014!!!
Pongal always reminds me, the pongal served in amman kovil (temple) which tastes divine. The smell of ghee tastes heavenly. Normally my mum used to make pongal in traditonal brass pot (i.e the vengala pannai) which is girdled with fresh turmeric plants and leaves that brings in the festive mood. The sugarcane's are yet another favorite of pongal days.
As in here i am not using any pots and use to make it in pressure cooker. I see that my pongal is in dark brown colour as they provide in temples. Only when cooking in an earthen pot or any such, you can see the milk that is used to cook the rice overflows making the pongal special. At this stage people used to say 'pongalo pongal'. You can also check on my Aval/Poha Pongal already posted.
Sakkarai Pongal / Sweet Pongal Recipe - Ingredients:
Cooking time: 20 mins/ Recipe Cuisine - South Indian /Recipe Category : Sweet
Raw rice - 1/2 cup
Moong dal - 3 tblsp
Jaggery - 3/4 cup
Water to cook rice - 2 1/2 cups
Milk - 1/2 cup
Water to make syrup - 1 1/4 cups
Ghee - 1 tsp for frying + 2 tblsp
Cashews - 10 broken
Raisins - 10
Cardamon - a pinch.
1. Melt the jaggery in hot water and boil it till all the lumps are completely dissolved.
3. Dry roast the moong dal in pressure cooker until slightly brown . Then add rice and give a quick stirr. .
4. Pressure cook it for 3- 4 whistles with total 3 cups of milk and water until mushy.
5. Once the pressure is released open it and pour the jaggery and mix it well and cook it till well blended.
6. Bring it to the pongal consistency about 5 mins. Finally add the cardamon powder, remaining ghee, cashews and raisins and give a stirr. Switch off.
Serve hot in plantain leaf along with medhu vada. Drizzle some ghee on top and garnish with cashew and raisins reserved.
- Using the achu velam that gives a dark colour to the pongal and also tastes good.
- According to your rice adjust the water quantity.
- You can also add 50/50 water and milk. But the colour of pongal will be light.
- Pongal tends to get thick when cooled down so switch it when it is in semi running consistency.
Mmmm Yummy ;)ReplyDelete
This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your posts, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the excellent work.ReplyDelete
orgainic long grain white rice
This is very interesting. thanks for that. we need more sites like this. i commend you on your great content and excellent topic choices.ReplyDelete
basmati rice receipe
It is useful and get the full of information here student making a best websites and that full of information here.ReplyDelete