Pongal is a common breakfast among south Indians. This is one of our regular breakfast or dinner during weekends. A simple and easy dish that can be made in a jiff. I like it served hot with chutney, sambar and vada like the one served in hotel. Everyone will have their own unique style of making this recipe. Normally my mum use to make this way. I made this for dinner so my clicks were made in the night.
Ven Pongal / Milagu Pongal Recipe - Ingredients:
Cooking time : 15 mins / Recipe Cuisine - South Indian / Recipe Category - Breakfast.
Raw rice - 1 cup
Moong dal - 1/3 cup
Water - 4 cups
Ghee - 2 tblsp
Salt as needed
Cashews - 6-7 nos
Jeera - 1 tsp
Pepper - 1 tsp
Green Chilies - 2 nos (if adding)
Ginger - 1 tsp (optional)
Curry leaves - a handful
Hing - a pinch
Oil - 1 tblsp
1. Dry roast the moong dal until slightly browned. Add the raw rice and give a quick stirr and pressure cook it with 4 cups of water for 3-4 whistles until mushy.
2. Mean while get ready with the tempering ingredients.
4. Heat little ghee and fry the cashews and keep aside. Heat oil in the same pan and fry the ingredients under 'to temper'.
5. Transfer the tempered items to cooked pongal along with cashews and ghee and give a quick stirr.
6. Serve hot with chutney and sambar.
Coming up next post will be some pongal recipes for this year.!!
- You can also soak the dal and rice for about 30 mins and then pressure cook which helps in faster cooking.
- Be generous in adding ghee to pongal .
- Roasting the dal gives a nice flavor to pongal.
- Adding green chilies and ginger is optional. I didn't add it.
Post a Comment
Hi Friends! Thank you all for visiting my blog. Without your comments and suggestions nothing is complete which is highly appreciable.