Preparation time: 30 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins | Recipe cuisine: Indian | Category: Main course
Basmati rice - 1 cup heaped
Water - 2 cups
Mushroom - 200 gm ( 1 packet of button mushrooms)
Onion - 1 thinly sliced
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
To marinate mushrooms:
Curd - 3 tbsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Red chili pow - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric pow - 1/2 tsp
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Cumin pow - 1/2 tsp
Tomato - 1 chopped
Mint leaves - 1/4 cup
Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup
Garlic - 3 cloves
Ginger - small piece
Green chili - 2 nos
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Bay leaf - 1
Cloves - 3
Cinnamon - 1"inch
Cardamon - 2
Sahi jeera - 1 tsp
To garnish: (optional)
Onion - 1 thinly sliced
cashews and raisins - a hand full
Oil for frying onions.
1. Clean the button mushrooms and marinate with all the spice powders and curd given under ' to marinate' and keep aside for 15 - 20 mins.
2. Mean while wash and soak the basmati rice for 15 mins.
3. Grind all the ingredients under' to grind' to smooth paste with little water and keep aside.
4. Heat ghee and oil in a pressure cooker. Once the oil is hot enough throw in all the whole masala's (bayleaf, cloves, cinnamon, cardamon,sahijeera). Add the thinly sliced onion and saute till it turns golden brown. (You can also add cashews and raisins at this stage itself.)
5. Then add the grounded tomato mixture paste and saute till the raw smell leaves.
6. Now add the marinated mushrooms and saute 2-3 mins till mushroom leaves water and becomes tender.
7. Once the masala is blended with the mushroom well add the rice and give a quick stir. Add the required water ( 2 cups).
8. Pressure cook for 1 whistle on low flame, simmer for 5 mins and switch off. Once the pressure is released completely, leave for 5-10 mins and then open it.
9. Fluff the rice carefully with a fork without breaking the rice. Meanwhile, take a kadai and fry the sliced onion and cashews in oil until golden brown.
Garnish with fried onion and cashews. Serve hot with raita.
- I usually add 1:2 ratio for rice and water and it always works well. Don't forget to soak the basmati rice.
- Marinating the mushrooms helps it to absorb the flavors well and adds more taste to biryani.
- You can also substitute 1 cup of water with coconut milk.
- If want you can squeeze lemon juice in the water to cook, it helps to keep each rice separated./ grainy.