My usual one is tomato rasam with lots of pepper and garlic. I rarely prepare varieties in rasam, and this paruppu rasam is one among them. It was quite a comforting lunch. Here comes the recipe..
Paruppu Rasam Recipe - Ingredients:
Preparation time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 10 mins | Recipe cuisine: South Indian | Category: Side dish
Toor dal - 1/4 cup
Tamarind - 1 gooseberry sized ball
Green chili - 1
Garlic - 2-3 cloves
Ginger - small piece
Tomato - 1
Coriander - 2 tsp
Turmeric - a pinch
Salt to taste
To roast and grind:
Jeera/ cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Pepper - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Hing/asafoetida - a pinch
1. Soak the tamarind in hot water, extract the juice and keep aside. Dry roast the jeera and pepper until nice aroma arises. Cool down, grind it coarsely and keep aside. Pressure the toor dal and mash with boiled
2. Heat oil in a kadai and splutter ingredients under ' to temper. Add green chili, garlic, ginger and chopped tomatoes. Saute for a while.
3. Add the tamarind juice and bring to boil until the raw smell leaves. Now add the dal along with water.
4. Throw in the jeera and pepper along with salt and turmeric and allow it to boil for a min or two.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with hot rice or have as it is.
- Don't allow the rasam to boil for more time as it will loose it's taste and turn bitter.
- I do add ginger and garlic in all type of rasam's.