Happy and Prosperous New Year 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nan Khatai 's are traditional Indian cookies made with butter or ghee and have a melt in mouth texture. It is also called as butter or ghee cookies. The flavor of cardamon makes these goodies smell heavenly. It's quick and easy to make and as a beginner if i can do, anyone can make it. They were popular in Gujarat which was it's origin. I have bookmarked this recipe long back even before i started baking. For me cookies were always butter cookies and has never missed it whenever we visit a bakery.
Nan Khatai Recipe : Ingredients:
Cooking Time: 10-12 mins / Recipe cuisine: Indian / Recipe Reference : Divya's Cookbook
Yields: 17 Cookies.
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 1/2 cup
Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
Cardamon - 1/4 tsp
Broken Badam / Pista - optional
1. Melt the ghee and beat in the powdered sugar and cardamon until smooth and creamy.
2. Add the flour and baking soda and mix together and knead to a smooth dough. It will be bit sticky but that's alright.
3. Keep covered the dough for 1 hour. This will improve the texture of the cookies.
4. Then roll into small cookies and press gently with badam or any nuts of your choice. Arrange them in baking tray lined with foil or butter paper.
5. Preheat your oven to 180 deg C for 5 mints and then bake for 10 - 12 mins. The top of the cookies will not brown and that's the perfect stage.
6. Remove and cool them them on a wire rack.
Enjoy these melt in mouth cookies. My hubby was not able to resist the smell and poped one to his mouth even when it was hot. We all enjoyed it to the core.
- Don't tempt to over bake it, then it will become hard.
- Baking time varies in each oven, so bake according to your oven.
- Resting time is important to give a smooth and soft cookies.